Skip to main content

Massive Open Online Course - MOOC_Day 3 EdTech1


Massive Open Online Course - MOOC
Ed Tech 1 Day 3














One of the first lectures that was conducted by Dr. Sebastian Thuns in a MOOC or Massive Open Online Course was Introduction to Artificial Intelligence or AI. This concept of learning may have been coined long time ago, but as with any Idea or endeavor, they may have been confined on the available technology of their time. Packages of recorded Audio, Beta Max and VHS tapes accompanied by its Manual have been around for some time for a self-thought learning instead of just books that students usually read. Since the Mid 90’s when Global connectivity have been available to many through the internet, training on this kind of set-up have allowed students to interact, work with and learn together.

Massive at its very term because classes can come at a thousand at a time. Age of the students vary from curious young to knowledge hungry professionals. Here in the Philippines, Online Education is the more recognized term, as advertised on the television and ads. Event me don’t actually know MOOC was till I have to do a report on this topic with my group. I mean, those in the industry for some time now like me is not aware of this. I can learn anything now? Laptop Computer – check, Internet connection – check, Time for it – hmmm. This are my issues, how about those who in the first place don’t have Internet connection (MOOC can be done in a cellphone – wow). This kind of learning can only be refined, improved, and perfect. Guidelines can only be implemented by the governing bodies. Innovations as people learn and develop ideas will add range to topics and subjects. But with lack of proper dissemination of information to the “mass” that MOOC is available to all, this kind of learning and information will be confined to those privileged few.


Our government have been working to provide solutions on connectivity for all Filipinos. Telecommunications Company are upgrading their facilities to reach out to even the most remote places in our nation. But all these have been utilized for Social purposes only. Now that I’ve learn of this MOOC is provided by not only local but international institution as well, and it’s for free. I’ll try some that will fit my needs and interest, and share to everyone I know every chance that I get. Instead of reading some bogus materials and articles on the web, why not these legit learning.

Comments