Skip to main content

The Odds are Even

Ed Tech 2 Day 3
The Odds are Even😰Black-out Poetry


     I’ve tried to write a poem somewhere in my youth (so this means that, that was really way long time ago). Mostly for trying to express my feelings for my then girlfriend (she’s my wife now).  When Prof. Olivar laid the two option for the activity last meeting, I said, well I’ll try something new tonight, instead of doing a comic strip from a magazine cut-out let’s find out if I could come-up with a poem from a newspaper article. As soon as I read the article that I was supposed to grab the lines for my poem, regret started to flow in. This is not easy I said, who in the world come up with this idea?
     The article was about how a Japanese military officer in World War 2 that saved then President Osmeña from execution when the officer refused to carry out the order. I couldn’t think of any other theme for my poem other than something that talks about the military. Almost everybody on the black out poetry side said the same thing ”ang hirap kuya noh?”. Writing a poem is hard enough when it’s not really in you, what more being confined to the words from somebody else’s article. Salute to those who thrive in this kind of poetic technique!

Comments